RVery Best Nest

Come join Joe, Mallery & I, as we travel around the USA in our RVery Best Nest. God's Favor has been chasing us down, and we are enjoying all of His blessing's, that He has created for all to enjoy!






Sunday, November 29, 2009

Benson,Huachuca, & Sierra Vista

11/22/09

We left Tuscon today and drove south to Benson AZ. To save some money we are staying at the Wal-Mart in Benson. We did our grocery shopping and settled in with the sounds of trains which go through Benson many times a day.

Entering into Benson at a elevation of 3,586 from 2,643 at Tucson. Great road from Tucson to Benson.
Malley carrying her blanket on her back, guess she thinks its too cold this morning. We have been experiencing cool 40 degree mornings lately. Today the 23rd we leave Wal-Mart and drive 2 miles to our next RV park, called Red Barn RV. I found this cheap ($12 per day) park in our Passport America Book; we can stay for two days at this rate. The place is a little run down but not scary. No Cable, and only one local channel on the TV. The next day (24Th) I am sent on an errand to find out where we are going to spend Thanksgiving. Last year we enjoyed a nice pot-luck at a campground in Tybee Island in Georgia. We would like to do the same here. The Red Barn RV in not really big enough and doesn't have anything planned. So I went to another RV park that is just down the road, I inquired at their office as too their prices and Thanksgiving plans. They say that they will give me the Passport America discount for two days and they have free cable TV. (Cost will be 14.50 per day, not bad at all). I ask about Thanksgiving. They say I should talk to a couple who are staying in the park for the winter. They are from Canada and are serving dinner for a few people in the park who have no Thanksgiving plans. I drive over to their site and spoke to a very nice lady in a wheel chair who says she wants to do the dinner for some single men in the park who are alone for the Holiday. I made arrangements to move to this park tomorrow.

11/25/09

We move to the park (called I-10 RV Park, because its right next to Interstate I-10) After getting set up, we drive about 10 miles to Kartchner Caverns State Park and use the coupon book we purchased back in Tucson, and use one of the coupons for the Cavern Tour for half price ($18.50). The Cavern is a guided tour with a park ranger who leads our group of about 15 people in past air lock doors which keep the air temp and humidity at the constant level it has been for years before the cave was discovered. It is about 70-75 degrees with near 100 percent humidity inside. This along with dim lighting helps keep the stalactites and stalagmites growing. We were not allowed to bring cameras so we have no pictures to share. It was interesting, but I'm not sure I would do it again?

11/26/09

In the morning I go over to the RV Park's small club house to see if I can help the couple who are fixing Thanksgiving Dinner to be served at 2pm. The lady says I can peel the potatoes, which I gladly do. She then says If I come back at 1:30pm I can help serve. Diane and I return at 1:30pm and I get the bird out of the oven and proceed to cut myself in the thumb as I prepare to carve the turkey. After being attended to by my wife, I resume with my chores. In addition to the turkey, she has prepared coleslaw, peas, stuffing, potatoes, jello, deviled eggs, gravy, and store bought pumpkin pies. The turkey was good but in all honesty the rest of the dishes were not like Diane and I are used to. There were only about 10 people who showed up in addition to us. We helped with the cleanup after wards. That evening Diane talked me into walking up the road to a Denny's restaurant where we shared a thanksgiving dinner that was better, but still not like home.

11/27/09

Today we leave Benson and drive 20 miles to Huachuca, AZ. The park we will be staying at is one I found in our Camp Club USA book. It is another bargain ($11.00 per day for two days, no cable TV and only one local channel, they do have a big selection of old movies that you can check out).
Our next neighborhood in Huachuca, AZ. at Mountain View RV Park at a little higher elevation at 3,934. It is a nice park with paved streets which are great for walking Malley whose feet often suffer on gravel roads which are found in some parks.
View of our ''nest" and the park
Park office.

View out our front window with me walking by.


11/28/09
Today we take the Honda into the town of Huachuca, which is nothing to talk about. Very small and not much there.
Shot from Huachuca, Az. We continued on south to the next town call Sierra Vista. This is a very nice town with lots of stores and shopping places. We spent the day at a Mall, (Diane needed some things that you can't get at Wal-Mart) We had lunch and picked up some groceries before heading back home.
Heading back home from Sierra Vista, AZ. Sierra Vista is at 4,633 elevation.
On our evening walk with beautiful cloud coverage.
Sunsets as we finish our walk.

11/29/09

Early morning shower. First rain since, we don't remember. It never rains in AZ.

Shot on morning walk from our neighborhood. After our walk it is time to pack up and head down the road to our next park, (two days go by very quickly). Our next destination is just 10 miles towards the town of Tombstone, AZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment