RVery Best Nest

Come join Joe, Mallery & I, as we travel around the USA in our RVery Best Nest. God's Favor has been chasing us down, and we are enjoying all of His blessing's, that He has created for all to enjoy!






Monday, April 11, 2011

Sombrero and Coco Plum Beach in Marathon, Florida Keys



There are two beaches in Marathon, that our park told us about. The first one we went to was Sombrero Beach.

The beach is maintained beautifully. A clean bath house.

A water spout for dog water. You can have your dog on the beach as long as they are on a leash and picked up after.

So Mallery got to go today. The sand was deep enough so Joe could pound in our umbrella at this beach.


We walked Mallery to the far end of the beach, and turned right to find another  small cove with many shady palm trees and people sleeping under the trees.

The beach had two volley ball courts, but no one was playing. Too hot I guess.

There were many pavilions and a really nice playground.

For those who have kids!


As we left I took a picture of the home across the street.

The next beach is Coco Plum Beach. Dogs are also allowed here, and do not have to be leashed. Mallery likes these kind of beaches best. She loves to run ahead or lag behind if she finds a great smell. I had to dip Mallery several times in the ocean, at this beach and the last beach to keep her from getting over heated, and then panting too much. Too much panting will cause a very sleepless night for all of us. It over works her delicate trachea, which then goes into spasm in the night.

I talked Joe into cooling off in the water. The water was perfect, not too cold or warm.

Joe sits down and enjoys as I had done, and soon I join him with Mallery.

The beach is very narrow also, and the water is very shallow  for a long ways out.

On the way home we stopped at Curry Hammock State Park to check it out, for future visits. We liked Curry Hammock better than Bahia Honda State Park, as far as the water front views. But both state parks campgrounds are on the Atlantic side, so you would have sunrises instead of sunsets, unlike Jolly Rogers, where we are at. I am not an early riser, so sunsets work better for me.

This picture and the previous picture are of Curry Hammocks Beach.

It looks to be very shallow also way out.

After dinner we hit Tiki island for another sunset.

4 comments:

  1. Diane, Joe & Mallery,
    I had to take a moment to say thank you SO much for your beautiful blog! I have been searching and searching everywhere online to find somewhere in the Keys where doggies are allowed on the beach. So many sites say different things. Finally today I stumbled on your blog and am SO pleased to see such great pics and specific locations where dogs are allowed...and you just visited there so I know it's up to date info! Yay!
    I haven't had a vacation in over two years as my mother has been fighting brain cancer, and since she is doing better right now, I thought I'd take a quick vacation down to the Keys for a couple of days with my sweet golden/yellow lab mix, Miss Preshie, who on April 15th turned eleven years old!
    I am absolutely thrilled to know about these two options near Marathon and will now book a pet friendly hotel nearby knowing we will indeed be able to have some adventures at the beach. Miss Preshie tires easily but loves the water and I just know we will have a great time. Again, thanks so much for taking the time to share your lovely pictures and site specifics on where dogs are allowed.
    Best regards,
    Jen
    West Palm Beach, FL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,Glad to know that I can help others find doggie beaches. When you have a beloved dog, you want to share your time with them at the beach. Mallery turns 10 in May and has slowed down a lot do to collasped trachea (common in the Yorky breds). Hope your mom is doing better and enjoy the Keys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting pictures of the beaches! I am currently planning a Marathon wedding and was trying to find info and pictures on Coco Plum beach as it is close to our rental house. I appreciate the efforts of blogging this beach and its pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous, I am glad I could help you find pictures of this beach. I hope you have a wonderful and beautiful wedding and enjoy your time in the Keys as we did!

      Delete