RVery Best Nest

Come join Joe, Mallery & I, as we travel around the USA in our RVery Best Nest. God's Favor has been chasing us down, and we are enjoying all of His blessing's, that He has created for all to enjoy!






Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Elephant Back Trail in Yellowstone

7/23/2010

On our last day at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone, we decided to do the Elephant Back Trail. This is one of the most popular trails in the Fishing Bridge area.
Because the trail is in a dense woods, I did not want to do this trail with just Joe.
We decided to do a ranger guided hike. In the beginning of the hike Joe and I were up front only behind the kids. Our group consisted of a family reunion of 23 and another older couple.
Deep woods. Lion, tigers, & bears.
The hike was a steady, way to fast pace, upward climb. It did not take long before I was pulling up the end of the trail.
This is why the trail is so popular.
A close up of previous picture. Yellowstone Lake is North America's largest mountain lake.Yellowstone Lake is 20 miles long, 14 miles wide, and 430 feet deep at it's deepest point. it's average depth is 140 feet.
Everyone had brought a sack lunch, so we had time to enjoy the view.Yellowstone Hotel is below on the lake.Looking west
Looking east.
The 2ND bay at the top of the picture is Mary's Bay, I believe.
The light green valley to the right and to the upper top of this view is called Pelican Valley. I guess from what I have read, that is where there is the most population of grizzly bears in Yellowstone. That is why no tents or pop ups are aloud at Fishing Bridge Campground.
Our ranger telling us things about Yellowstone.
In this picture, you see Yellowstone River, and Fishing Bridge bridge.
As we climbed back down the trail, we were now walking with the oldest people on the hike. The couple were in their mid 60's. We had met this couple on the way up the trail, as the wife and myself could not keep up with the pace of the rest of our group. We both needed to make many more short breaks, than the others needed. The trail is not recommended for people with breathing problems or heart problems. I knew this would be a tough one for me, because I always have breathing problems in extreme conditions. But I wanted to do the trail and not alone with Joe. As we continued down I noticed Joe did not have his walking stick with him. When I asked him where it was, he realized he had left it at the top. Joe decided to go back up to retrieve his stick. The couple said they would wait for him to return. He ran most of the way back up the trail. He was very exhausted when he finally got back down to where we were. The rest of the hikers were long gone. I felt very comfortable with us four going back through the woods, as the ranger said a bear attack has been with 3 people or less in the park.
When we got done with the hike, Joe and I went went to Mary's Bay so Joe could make some phone calls. While he was calling, I got out of the car and took a few pictures.
Mary's Bay


After Joe's calls, we turned the car around and started to head back to our Nest. Joe said, "why are there two ranger's cars parked behind us?
We both looked back at the patch of grass behind, where our car was parked just a few moments before, and just yards from where I had been taking pictures.( But toward the other direction). Another bear. ( See the car in the picture. That is where we were parked, but facing the other direction)
This is the second time a grizzle has been at my phone calling spot.
I think it is a grizzly. It has the hump on it's shoulder area.

I took Joe back to the Nest, and came back to Mary's Bay, but farther up from the bear, so I could work on the internet. Joe didn't want to sit with me while I messed on the computer..
I have this pretty view where I am parked.
When I got off the computer, I got my camera out.
The colors in this meadow have just come alive in the last few days.
I am up here at least once a day to use my phone.
So I had noticed how beautiful the meadow had become.

Then I turned to the bay.
Then I headed home.
Back at the Nest , I wanted to show you all the forts that children have been building at Fishing Bridge over the summer.
Joe standing by this fort to show the size of the it.
And another one.
The fourth one. I think the kids have done a great job building these!
The woods have a lot of downed dead trees for the children to build the forts.
Fishing Bridge Campground has been a great place to stay. We liked the location, having water and sewer hook ups. Fishing Bridge is putting in electricity and it should be in by late August. Too late for us, but great for future visits. We decided to stay at Fishing Bridge because it was the only campground in Yellowstone, that we could get reservations. All the other reservation campgrounds were full by the time we scheduled our visit. There are other campgrounds, but they are first come, first serve, with out hook ups. We didn't like the rule of no generator after 8PM, because with no electricity, we have to run our generator to watch TV. The rate for Fishing Bridge was $28 a day and we stayed for 10 days, so it was a bit high for our budget. But for being in Yellowstone, the price is pretty cheap for the location.

No comments:

Post a Comment